SubjectRe: Calling PnP bios routines like get device node from x86_84 arch
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually I want to call the BIOS run time functions as per the
PNPBIOSSpecification-v1.0a (attached).
Specifically I want to call the function no 0x0 to 0x03. I have
Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 and AMI BIOS with the pnp bios
support.
So I could call this functions using the default PnP driver which comes
along with the (API: call_pnp_bios()) i386 architecture. This driver is
only available for i386. But not for x86_64.

So I am trying to implement a driver similar to this for x86_64 arch.
But I couldn't .
Because there is need for get_cpu_gdt_table() which is not available in
x86_64.
And also some inline asm needs to be totally modify for x86_64. For this

How can I achive this ? Is there any other alternate idea there instead
of pnp driver?

Please help on this.

-mkr

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
> PnP driver <mkrameshid@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I am very new to linux kernel driver development. I need to develop a
>> driver for calling BIOS routines like get device node. I could call it
>> in i386 architecture using the PnP driver.
>>

> We use ACPI on AMD64 so you should be parsing the ACPI tables not trying
> to rely on legacy interfaces which if I rememeber the spec rightly aren't
> even guaranteed safe to call when ACPI is active.
>
> What are you actually trying to achieve.
>

>> But in x86_64 arch I couldn't see any support. Even I tried to
>> implement it similar to the i386. But there is no API get_cpu_gdt_table().
>> Is there any other way to get the cpu_gdt_table? or any other way to
>> call the BIOS routines.
>>

> Assuming you even have a BIOS - you may have EFI underlying or
> Linuxbios or be a virtual machine.

[unhandled content-type:application/pdf]

  Last update: 2007-09-11 07:43    [W:0.177 / U:0.564 seconds]