    SubjectRe: Error message from device_rename in drivers/base/core.c
    Kay Sievers wrote:
    > On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 08:59 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
    >> Kay Sievers wrote:
    >>> Hmm, I can not immediately see how udev could request the renaming to
    >>> the same name:
    >>>
    >>> /* look if we want to change the name of the netif */
    >>> if (strcmp(udev->name, udev->dev->kernel) != 0) {
    >>> retval = rename_netif(udev);
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> What udev version is it and which distro and version?
    >> My distro is openSUSE 10.2, which is fully patched/updated. According to YaST, I'm using version
    >> 103-12 x86_64. My kernel is 2.6.23-rc2 from John Linville's git tree - I run bcm43xx-mac80211.
    >
    > Oh, that's likely a bug in the SUSE versions of the persistent net
    > interface rules. It is calling ifrename when it needs to swap interface
    > names (temp rename to free the target name), that logic which may have
    > that bug.
    > For the next SUSE release, it is replaced by the (now available)
    > upstream stuff from the udev tree, which most distros use now, and which
    > should not have that problem.

    Thanks for the explanation. I'll ignore the message - it doesn't cause any problems anyway, and I'll
    expect it to go away when openSUSE 10.3 comes out in October. I think I'll post a bug report with
    SUSE just to make sure it gets fixed.

    Larry

      Last update: 2007-08-08 17:21    [W:0.026 / U:0.124 seconds]