SubjectRe: Error message from device_rename in drivers/base/core.c
Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:37:24 -0700 (PDT),
> David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>
>> I think this check belongs in udev not in the kernel. Thankfully
>> this message at least tells us it is happening, please don't
>> remove it.
>
> Hm, device_rename() could alternatively just return success if
> dev->bus_id and new_name are the same.

That is what my proposed patch did. One could argue that the test should come before the failure,
not after, but the effect is the same.

>> I'm pretty sure it's UDEV doing this, and it should not try to rename
>> a netdevice to what it already is named.
>
> But it shouldn't cause an error either :)

I agree with you, but you and David can fight it out. While finding out where to ask/complain about
udev, I had a private communication with GregKH. He thinks that a patch to fix this has already been
pushed through Linus. As Linville's wireless-dev tree is a little behind, I'm waiting to see if it
gets fixed here by 2.6.23-rc3. If not, I'll talk to the udev/hotplug folks.

  Last update: 2007-08-08 14:27    [W:0.066 / U:0.068 seconds]