SubjectRe: Disk spin down issue on shut down/suspend to disk
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Michael Sedkowski wrote:
> >> Hmmm... If the problem only shows up on nx6325, it might be that ACPI is
> >> pulling unnecessary stunt. Please apply the attached patch and report
> >> when the disk spins down and up.
> >
> > Disk spins down on "Pre-shutdown prepare" and then goes up and down on
> > "Power down".
>
> Oh... crap, so acpi wants to sync cache on shutdown. I wonder whether
> it spins down the disk correctly. Does emergency unload count increase
> after each power down? Also, please post the result of 'dmidecode'.

You know, this actually make a lot of sense, and one can't even complain
about firmware that pulls that off. Any chances of changing things
so that we inspect/snoop all tasks sent to the device, and filter them
out, or react to them accordingly?

Henrique Holschuh