SubjectDRM and/or X trouble (was Re: CFS review)
On 08/31/2007 08:46 AM, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:

>>> Before people focuss on software rendering too much -- also with 1.3.0
>>> (and a Matrox Millenium G550 AGP, 32M) glxgears also works decidedly
>>> crummy using hardware rendering. While I can move the glxgears window
>>> itself, the actual spinning wheels stay in the upper-left corner of the
>>> screen and the movement leaves a non-repainting trace on the screen.
>
> This sounds like you're running an older version of Mesa.
> The bugfix went into Mesa 6.3 and 7.0.

I have Mesa 6.5.2 it seems (slackware-12.0 standard):

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI G400 20061030 AGP 2x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.5.2

The bit of the problem sketched above -- the gears just sitting there in the
upper left corner of the screen and not moving alongside their window is
fully reproduceable. The bit below ... :

>>> Running a second instance of glxgears in addition seems to make both
>>> instances unkillable -- and when I just now forcefully killed X in this
>>> situation (the spinning wheels were covering the upper left corner of all
>>> my desktops) I got the below.

[ two kernel BUGs ]

... isn't. This seems to (again) have been a race of sorts that I hit by
accident since I haven't reproduced yet. Had the same type of "racyness"
trouble with keyboard behaviour in this version of X earlier.

> Running two instances of glxgears and killing them works for me, too.
>
> I'm using xorg-server 1.3.0.0, Mesa 7.0.1 with the latest DRM bits from
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/drm.git;a=summary

For me, everything standard slackware-12.0 (X.org 1.3.0) and kernel 2.6.22 DRM.

> I'm not running CFS though, but I guess the oops wasn't related to that.

I've noticed before the Matrox driver seems to get little attention/testing
so maybe that's just it. A G550 is ofcourse in graphics-time a Model T by
now. I'm rather decidedly not a graphics person so I don't care a lot but
every time I try to do something fashionable (run Google Earth for example)
I notice things are horribly, horribly broken.

X bugs I do not find very interesting (there's just too many) and the kernel
bugs are requiring more time to reproduce than I have available. If the BUGs
as posted aren't enough for a diagnosis, please consider the report withdrawn.

Rene.

  Last update: 2007-08-31 12:53    [W:0.145 / U:0.256 seconds]