    SubjectRE: recent nfs change causes autofs regression
    On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 21:38 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Trond Myklebust wrote:
    > >
    > > No. Solaris defaults to breaking cache consistency.
    > If so, and since that's obviously what people _expect_ to happen, why not
    > make that the default, with the "consistent" behaviour being the one that
    > needs an explicit option.

    The majority of "nfs sucks" complaints result from the general lack of
    understanding by sysadmins of the nfs caching model. I'd be very
    sceptical of any claim that most sysadmins "expect" broken cache
    consistency as a result of mounting the same filesystem with different
    mount options.

    > Just out of curiosity - Hua, is this NFSv2? Especially there, cache
    > "consistency" is largely a joke anyway, so defaulting to some annoying
    > careful mode is doubly ridiculous.

    NFSv2 has a close-to-open caching model which works fine as long as you
    don't break the underlying assumptions. See my comment above.

      Last update: 2007-08-31 07:03    [W:0.020 / U:5.260 seconds]