SubjectRe: [-mm patch] make types.h usable for non-gcc C parsers
On 8/28/07, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> > > But I'd like a better description, please. Which "non-gcc parser" are we
> > > talking about here? Something under ./scripts/. Well, please identify it,
> > > and describe what the problem is, and how the proposed patch will address
> > > it.
> >
> > It's about parsers like the Sun C compiler and the C parser shipped
> > with genksyms.
>
> So it is about two bugs.
> 1) kbuild (genksyms) fails to generate CRC for some symbols
> 2) allow userspace to parse the header
>
> As for 2 we already use sed to remove a lot of stuff in our headers
> so why do we use another approach here?

the sed removes things permanently and is designed for scrubbing
things that are kernel-only ... in this case, these typedefs are not
kernel only, but exposed conditionally when the compiler/standard
allows for it
-mike

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans