    SubjectRe: Slow, persistent memory leak in 2.6.20
    Date
    On Sunday 26 August 2007 17:16, Fred Tyler wrote:
    > So, I guess it worked? (I don't know what was supposed to happen, but
    > memory usage dropped significantly when I did this.)

    If you can reclaim "leaked" memory this way, it means that
    you found a bug where cached data is incorrectly kept
    in RAM in preference of other data.
    (I'm assuming that you do have real problems after some time
    of "leaking" memory - you mention that you get swap storms
    and eventually machine is dead.)

    > However, I'm not sure this staging machine has been up long enough or
    > doing enough to exhibit the problem. I can try this on my production
    > servers (the ones I provided graphs for) late tonight, but how safe is
    > running this command? Does it permanently disable file caching? Do I

    Yes, it's safe to do, anytime.

    It's just a command to kernel to drop as much of currently
    accumulated filesystem cache as it can. It is strictly
    a debugging/benchmarking aid.

    If you end up needing to do it once in a while to keep your machine
    alive, something is definitely wrong.
    --
    vda