    SubjectRE: "double" hpet clocksource && hard freeze [bisected]
    > > Prevent duplicate names being registered with clocksource. This also
    > > eliminates the duplication of hpet clock registration when the arch
    > > uses the hpet timer and the hpet driver does too. The patch was
    > > compile and link tested.
    > This one works too.

    It is good to avoid registering two clocksources with the same name, but
    the fix might be a bit more fragile than the eariler one that temporarily
    marked the drivers/char/hpet.c one as CONFIG_IA64 only. Given that the
    hang went away when you applied the earlier patch, I conclude that the
    drivers/char/hpet.c code is the one that got selected when you had two
    "hpet" entries ... and that there is something wrong with that code that
    doesn't work right on x86_64. The fix to prevent registering a duplicate
    name is presumably working for you simply because arch/x86_64/kernel/hpet.c
    happens to get there first with its "hpet", so the drivers/char/hpet.c one
    is dropped. If something changed that reversed the order of these registrations,
    then you'd get the "hpet" clocksource that results in a hang.

      Last update: 2007-08-24 18:07    [W:0.020 / U:42.236 seconds]