    SubjectRe: Thinking outside the box on file systems
    While i highly support innovation, until i see a well layed out
    structure of what exactly you are looking for i have a hard time
    expressing any view that are meaningful, could you create some kind of
    wiki or summery email (if this is really this important to you) most
    of us are lazy and have better things to do, make it easy for us.
    A) Create a list of the current problems or just inefficiencies in
    the current system.
    B) Create a list of all the points that make up your view of a good
    file system.
    C) Cross the two lists showing how your idea would fix the current problems.

    I am not saying that the current way is the right or wrong way, just
    that i think you have organised your ideas as if you are thinking out
    loud by email (which is ok by me, just stop the direct attacks if you
    are).
    I agree that every company and program gets caught in a rut, that does
    not conform to changing markets and technology, especially if it was
    at one time a success, IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Sun, American Auto
    Industry to name a few. These are also example companies that have
    gotten the idea that what they do might not be right way and have made
    some attempt to step back (some more successfully than others) or face
    loss in market share.
    Just remember a key point when rethinking something as key as a file
    system, while your new battery may be much more efficient than my old
    AA, i want it to work with my old flashlights too (and no aftermarket
    refit kit).
    Should the surroundings be modified for the target, or the target
    modified for the surroundings?
    Your little rants about VI and rm are not helpful, if these programs
    were so bad then why have they survived. Linux is on hell of a project
    to be put together, sorry but innovation did come from people using VI
    and Emacs. btw i highly recommend the command man, you should try it.
    --
    Brennan Ashton
    Bellingham, Washington

    "The box said, 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux"