    SubjectRe: [rfc] balance-on-fork NUMA placement
    On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:58:13PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:
    >
    > > > It does in the sense that slabs are allocated following policies. If you
    > > > want to place individual objects then you need to use kmalloc_node().
    > >
    > > Is there no way to place objects via policy? At least kernel stack and page
    > > tables on x86-64 should be covered by page allocator policy, so the patch
    > > will still be useful.
    >
    > Implementing policies on an object level introduces significant allocator
    > overhead. Tried to do it in SLAB which created a mess.
    >
    > Add a (slow) kmalloc_policy? Strict Object round robin for interleave
    > right? It probably needs its own RR counter otherwise it disturbs the per
    > task page RR.

    I guess interleave could be nice for other things, but for this, I
    just want MPOL_BIND to work. The problem is that the pagetable copying
    etc codepaths cover a lot of code and some of it (eg pagetable allocation)
    is used for other paths as well.. so I was just hoping to do something
    less intrusive for now if possible.

    > For interleave kmalloc() does allocate the slabs round robin not the
    > objects.

      Last update: 2007-08-03 02:29    [W:0.021 / U:0.084 seconds]