SubjectRe: [patch 0/1] extending low-level markers

> > The locking is internal to our framework and done on a per-type basis.
> > The start/end example i mentioned could represent an interval. When the
> > two points are wired up they both have their private data pointing at a
> > kmalloc'd interval structure internal to our framework, which contains
> > a lock.
> >

> Then this lock is taken in _start and unlocked in _end ? What happens if
> the _start and _end markers are enabled/disabled in a non-equilibrated
> way while the kernel code is being executed ? Would it deadlock the next
> time the lock is taken due to a missing unlock ?

The locks are aquired and released in each _start and _end marker, so
the equilibrium is not a issue.

A more sane example is the insertion of values into a histogram. Instead
of the instrumenation point logging the values and having the histogram
constructed during a post-process step, data structures implemented the
histogrm are associated with the instrumenation point. The lock protects
this structure in a more intuitive way than the interval example.

We have additional instrumenation points associated with the histogram
which for example trigger the logging of the histgoram when conditions
are met (conditions are implied by the placement of the marker).

In the interval example, they provide the data consistency, and
make no attempt to insure that the markers are used in a way that
makes sense (for example an interval in a preemptable re-entrant path).

So you can see that encoding the types of markers in the name of the
marker may become cumbersome as the amount of combinations grow.

> > The cookie approach would accomplish the functionality, though it does
> > complicate the procedure of adding the instrumenation point. If the
> > start and the end events are not in the same function/file then
> > the linking of the cookie could be too instrusive.
> >
> > In all of our cases the cookie would certainly be a void* pointing to
> > internal data structures. What is the objection to using the marker's
> > private data to point to the internal structures?
> >

> SMP, preemption, all those things while requires locking around a static
> variable. And the problem of non atomicity of connexion/disconnexion of
> multiple probes vs unbalanced lock/unlock.

I think most of problems involving non atomicity of the
connection/disconnection of probes can be accomplished by good house
keeping and settings things up in phases which insure consistency. For
example wiring things up before enabling events. An issue such as
hitting a _end event before a _start event can easily be handled by
whatever framework the markers are attached to.

- Noah