    SubjectRe: serial flow control appears broken
    Mark Lord wrote:
    > I don't believe the speed of the machine has much to do with it,
    > as IDE PIO is always at pretty much the same speed (or slower)
    > regardless of the CPU speed.
    > Best case is about .120 usec per 16-bit word, but that doesn't often pan
    > out
    > in practice. More typical is something closer to 1 usec per 16-bit word.
    > So, for multcount=16 (very common), best case is 16 * 256 * .120 = 491
    > usec,
    > plus extra overhead for reading the IDE status register (another usec or
    > so),
    > and other stuff. Figure maybe 500usec total per interrupt for multcount=16
    > in the best case, or 4000usec in the worst case.
    > At 115200bps, we get a byte every 86 usec or so. Assuming the UART FIFO
    > is set to interrupt (warn) us at 12/16 full, we have 4*86 = 344 usec to
    > respond and de-assert RTS. Less than that in practice.
    > Conclusion: using IDE multisector PIO is not a good idea with high speed
    > serial transfers happening, since we cannot respond quickly enough.
    > It might be possible to set the buffer underrun threshold lower in the
    > UART (?).
    > All that said, I doubt that his system is using IDE PIO in the first place.
    > Dunno how long IDE DMA interrupts take, but it's probably in the 20-50
    > usec range.

    I think that PIO transfers only have to be done with interrupts disabled
    on really old, evil controllers (without unmask set). I don't think
    libata ever disables interrupts during transfers(?)

    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from
    Home Page:

      Last update: 2007-08-02 18:17    [W:0.021 / U:0.048 seconds]