SubjectRe: 2.6.22 regression: thermal trip points
> Set a taint flag,

That's hardly any useful if the machine is dead afterwards.

> print a loud message

Neither.

You'll just end up with "Linux destroyed my laptop" headlines all
over the internet and rightfully very annoyed users.

> Or have you forgotten the original Unix
> philosophy too ?

The philosophy didn't include physically destroying hardware
as far as I know.

> > > Here we had obviously-useful-to-you functionality which was taken away
> > > without, afaik, providing any alternative.
> >
> > I don't think it's that unreasonable to require source code modifications
> > for anything that can kill hardware.
>
> As root you can erase the bios,

We don't ship the devbios driver for good reasons.

> lock the hard disk with a random
> password, reflash your video card ....

That all requires significant effort and custom software. It's not that we
have a one liner echo destroy > /sys/.../flash-bios.

-Andi

  Last update: 2007-08-02 14:07    [W:0.129 / U:0.536 seconds]