    SubjectRe: RFHelp: Splitting MAINTAINERS into maintainers/* and Makefile/Kconfig support
    On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 02:25 -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
    > The whole point of MAINTAINERS is to have one central repository for this
    > information, instead of scattering it throughout the various source files. If
    > that file is getting too unwieldy (and I don't think it is) then I could
    > understand splitting it up hierarchically, for example having a
    > drivers/net/MAINTAINERS that listed the info for all the net drivers.

    The individual MAINTAINERS files eliminates what Linus
    described as their "hotness".
    No shared updates by multiple parties.

    > What you're suggesting is a less efficient equivalent to putting the info
    > directly into the source files.

    I believe that wrong.

    Maintainer patterns frequently look like:

    F: arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/
    F: drivers/cpufreq/
    F: include/linux/cpufreq.h

    If in source, this would currently require 21 + 12 + 1
    modifications instead of 1.

    > If that approach was enough to make people
    > happy, we wouldn't have MAINTAINERS to begin with.

    I think the insertion of maintainers into source
    itself is wrong. It's freeform, error prone and
    requires significant modifications to source files
    as maintainers come and go.

    > Perhaps with a little automation it could be revived,

    Which is the help I'm looking for.

    Can someone please help here on ideas or implementation
    adding a makefile target for MAINTAINERS from files
    in a specific subdirectory?

    > though I think that adding a path pattern
    > removes the need, while keeping it easier to parse by scripts.
    > I appreciate the effort to make MAINTAINERS more useful,
    > but please don't add another 600 files to the tree.

    In the distributed form, you'll still end up with
    ~400 new files spread all over the tree.

    Either way, you'll have hundreds of files.

    $ grep "^F:" MAINTAINERS | sed -e "s/[A-Za-z0-9\_\*\.\-]*$//" | sort |
    uniq | wc -l

    Centralized as maintainers/* or distributed as ../../../Maintainers

    Pick one, I don't much care, but I'm still looking for
    Makefile/KConfig help reassembling it into a single
    MAINTAINERS block similar to the current form.

    cheers, Joe

      Last update: 2007-08-17 14:57    [W:0.021 / U:17.824 seconds]