    SubjectRe: Thinking outside the box on file systems

    --- Kyle Moffett <> wrote:

    > On Aug 15, 2007, at 14:05:23, Marc Perkel wrote:
    > > In this new system setfacl, chmod, chown, and
    > chgrp all go away
    > > except inside of an emulation layer. File and
    > directories no longer
    > > have permissions. People have permission to naming
    > patterns. So if
    > > you put a file into a tree or move a tree then
    > those who have
    > > permissions to the tree have access to the files.
    > >
    > > It eliminates the step of having to apply
    > permission after moving
    > > files into a tree. You don't have to change file
    > permissions
    > > because files no longer have permissions.
    > And I'm trying to tell you that unless you have some
    > magic new
    > algorithm that turns NP-complete problems into
    > O(log(N)) problems,
    > your idea won't work. You can't just say "I just do
    > one little thing
    > (mv) and the entire rest of the computer
    > automagically changes to
    > match", because that would imply a single unscalable
    > global kernel
    > lock. "Pattern"-matching is either NP-complete or
    > high-polynomial-
    > order, depending on how its implemented, and if you
    > want to do a
    > recursive-chmod during a directory move then you're
    > going to have
    > race-conditions out the ass. If you have code or
    > solid math to back
    > up your postings then please do so, but otherwise
    > you're just wasting
    > time and bandwidth.

    Kyle - you are still missing the point. chmod goes
    away. File permissions goes away. Directories as you
    know them goes away.

    Marc Perkel
    Junk Email Filter dot com

    Got a little couch potato?

      Last update: 2007-08-15 22:23    [W:0.021 / U:10.568 seconds]