    SubjectRe: Thinking outside the box on file systems
    Marc Perkel wrote:
    > That not a problem - it's a feature. In such a
    > situation the person would get a general file creation
    > error.

    Feature or not, it's still vulnerable to probing by malicious users. If
    there are create permissions on the directory, the invisibility is not
    perfect.

    > Although it isn't likely people would structure
    > files with invisible files in directories that the
    > user has create permissions [...]

    ... /tmp ...

    > [...] it is logical that if I
    > put a file in a place where the user has no rights I
    > want it to stay there. Currently the user can delete
    > files where they have no rights.

    Indeed. The sticky bit works around this, but IMHO it's a hack.

    > I might also want to restrict the kind of a user can
    > createor give permission to create only certian file
    > names.
    >
    > /etc/vz/conf/*.conf - create - readonly - self-rw
    > /etc/vz/conf - deny
    >
    > This would allow the user to read all *.conf files,
    > create new *.conf files, and full permissions to
    > read/write/delete files that the user created but not
    > files that others created. If listing a directory then
    > only the *.conf files would appear even if other files
    > are in the directory.

    It'd be interesting to find a use case for this, but that's no reason
    not to provide the functionality.

    > Marc Perkel
    > Junk Email Filter dot com
    > http://www.junkemailfilter.com

    -- m. tharp

      Last update: 2007-08-15 19:33    [W:0.024 / U:0.888 seconds]