    SubjectRe: Use of directories to hold root?
    Date
    On Saturday 11 August 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > On Aug 10 2007 17:08, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > >Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > >>
    > >> No, but you can use pivot_root.
    > >
    > >Or better yet, use an initramfs with MS_MOVE; same as you would with the
    > >"normal" use of initramfs.
    >
    > mount --move /foo /
    > => error
    >
    > What did I miss?
    >

    > Jan
    Thank you for the prompt replies. I have looked int pivot_root and
    with my limited knowledge it looks like I could do this in the linuxrc
    during start up. I believe the new kernel 2.6.21 is independent of the
    root tree, so right after it mounts the old root /dev/sda3, it then can
    pivot-root to /ker2621.
    This can quickly be tested in the lab. I already use chroot for tests. Was
    unaware of pivot_root.

    I am not sure I understand initramfs with MS_MOVE concept. I will look into
    it. Any pointers for documentation?

    Again, thank you for the help.

    Mark Cannon

      Last update: 2007-08-12 21:43    [W:0.029 / U:89.576 seconds]