    SubjectUse of directories to hold root?
    You pass the kernel the root option to specify the root partition.
    Is there a way to identify a directory in that partition that holds the
    root or something equivalent to this?

    Something like:

    kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 root-directory=ker2621

    If you independently examined /dev/sda3 you would find

    with the regular root structure under them (usr,bin,sbin,var,....)

    We have 70+ remote machines we wish to bring up to date, and they
    were not set up with any extra partitions. They are remote in that they
    only connect briefly and have to be automatically updated.

    I am open to other suggestions. The only other idea I have is to remotely/automatically
    re-partition the disk to allow multiple roots in the future - scary stuff.

    Please CC me when replying to this posting.

    Thank you,

      Last update: 2007-08-10 23:33    [W:0.768 / U:35.584 seconds]