    SubjectRe: [patch] add kdump_after_notifier
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Takenori Nagano <t-nagano@ah.jp.nec.com> writes:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> IMHO, most users don't use kdump, kdump users are only kernel developers and
    >> enterprise users.
    >
    > Not at all. So far the only kdump related bug report I have seen has
    > been from fedora Core.

    Sorry, I thought general users push reset button when the machine is
    panicked. :-(

    > No. The problem with your patch is that it doesn't have a code
    > impact. We need to see who is using this and why.

    My motivation is very simple. I want to use both kdb and kdump, but I think it
    is too weak to satisfy kexec guys. Then I brought up the example enterprise
    software. But it isn't a lie. I know some drivers which use panic_notifier.
    IMHO, they use only major distribution, and they has the workaround or they
    don't notice this problem yet. I think they will be in trouble if all
    distributions choose only kdump.

    BTW, I use kdb and lkcd now, but I want to use kdb and kdump. I sent a patch to
    kdb community but it was rejected. kdb maintainer Keith Owens said,

    > Both KDB and crash_kexec should be using the panic_notifier_chain, with
    > KDB having a higher priority than crash_exec. The whole point of
    > notifier chains is to handle cases like this, so we should not be
    > adding more code to the panic routine.
    >
    > The real problem here is the way that the crash_exec code is hard coded
    > into various places instead of using notifier chains. The same issue
    > exists in arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c because of bad coding practices from
    > kexec.

    Then I gave up to merge my patch to kdb, and I tried to send another patch to
    kexec community. I can understand his opinion, but it is very difficult to
    modify that kdump is called from panic_notifier. Because it has a reason why
    kdump don't use panic_notifier. So, I made this patch.

    Please do something about this problem.

    Thanks,

      Last update: 2007-08-01 11:29    [W:0.034 / U:1.736 seconds]