    SubjectRe: SD still better than CFS for 3d ?(was Re: 2.6.23-rc1)
    On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 10:57 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 01:46 +0200, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    > >
    > > > could perhaps be filesystem related, i have my maildir(extremely
    > > > large) on reiserfs, and /home on xfs. what my mail client will do is
    > > > download mail, spamasassin it(loading database from home), then it
    > > > will put to imap server placing it on reiserfs, and then a "local"
    > > > copy in my home.
    > >
    > > Ooh, do you perchance have PREEMPT_BKL=y?

    sorry late response.

    nope, i run totally without preemption, i did however test with, it
    seemed to not matter in terms of smoothness, but reduced the throughput
    slightly.

    > > If so, try on another filesystem than reiserfs (or disable
    > > PREEMPT_BKL, but that is obviously the lesser of the two choices).
    > >
    > > Ingo traced a 1+ second latency at my end to BKL priority inversion
    > > between tty and reiserfs.
    >
    > ah, indeed, that makes quite a bit of sense. Almost all of the Reiser3
    > code runs under the BKL, and the only other major kernel infrastructure
    > that has BKL dependencies is the TTY code. Kasper, as a debugging
    > matter, could you try to move that spamassassin workload off into a
    > non-Reiser3 filesystem and/or disable PREEMPT_BKL? If that makes a
    > noticeable difference (for the better ;) then we can continue figuring
    > out what's happening exactly.

    the pricess is as this:
    mail client fetches mail
    mail client invokes spamasassin
    if spam -> spam
    else filtering
    if it matches certain filters, it gets put into my imap server, which is
    reiserfs.

    > Ingo

      Last update: 2007-08-02 01:49    [W:0.022 / U:0.380 seconds]