SubjectRe: THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Forcing the selection at compile-time isn't such a great idea IMHO.
> > Isn't there a way to support both old and new userspace?
>
> It only afects the *defaults* of various driver knobs that can be freely
> modified at runtime:
>
> without THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED:
> hotkey_enable = 0
> hotkey_mask unchanged from whatever is already set
>
> hot keys from ibm-acpi 0.14 are mapped to KEY_UNKNOWN, and thus will
> generate ACPI events if hotkey_enabled is set to 1.
>
> with THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED:
> hotkey_enable = 1
> hotkey_mask = hotkey_recommended_mask
>
> most hot keys are mapped to something other than KEY_UNKNOWN, and
> thus will not generate ACPI events but rather input layer events.
>
> You should select whichever works better with your userspace.

That reminds me of something else odd that I noticed.

While I had CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED=y and was trying
to get Fn+F4 to give me Suspend to RAM somehow, I did try setting
/sys/blah/blah/blah/hotkey_enable to 0.

That caused the Fn+F4 key to become active, except that it wanted
to do Hibernation to Disk instead: a window popped up to tell me
(IIRC) that my kernel command line didn't have a good resume=

Hugh

  Last update: 2007-08-01 19:07    [W:0.051 / U:0.200 seconds]