    SubjectRe: [patch 09/10] Remove the SLOB allocator for 2.6.23
    Hi Nick,

    On 7/9/07, Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > SLOB contains several significant O(1) and also O(n) memory savings that
    > are so far impossible-by-design for SLUB. They are: slab external
    > fragmentation is significantly reduced; kmalloc internal fragmentation is
    > significantly reduced; order of magnitude smaller kmem_cache data type;
    > order of magnitude less code...

    I assume with "slab external fragmentation" you mean allocating a
    whole page for a slab when there are not enough objects to fill the
    whole thing thus wasting memory? We could try to combat that by
    packing multiple variable-sized slabs within a single page. Also,
    adding some non-power-of-two kmalloc caches might help with internal

    In any case, SLUB needs some serious tuning for smaller machines
    before we can get rid of SLOB.

      Last update: 2007-07-09 13:07    [W:0.044 / U:21.024 seconds]