    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.22 released

    On Jul 8 2007 16:52, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >So this is also a heads-up that I'm considering skipping the ChangeLog
    >files in the future - the full release ones are so big as to not be very
    >easily readable (the full ChangeLog from 2.6.21 is ove ra hundred thousand
    >lines, and weighs in at 3.8MB for example), and you really can get much
    >better per-subsystem logs from git.
    >Anybody? Should I make just the shortlogs available instead (I don't save
    >those, but I post those for the later -rc's - usually the -rc1 and -rc2's
    >are too big for the mailing list, but they are still a lot smaller and
    >more readable than the *full* logs are)?
    >Or do people really want the full logs, and don't use git?
    >Let me know how you feel. And test the actual release out too, of course!

    The rc-to-rc shortlog is usually helpful. That way, I can see whether a
    particular fix that I am interested in/involved with has already been
    merged - or not and its needs some reminder. And the 2.6.x -> 2.6.y-rc1
    shortlog for seeing whether patches, should I have decided to send
    anything, actually went in. All other logs can be omitted from the mail
    announcements. I still prefer to have all logs, as usual, both short
    and long, via http (perhaps compressed for your pleasure), because
    cloning a git is not always possible (think of public terminals) or
    feasible (cloning does take a while, and longer on slower links).

      Last update: 2007-07-09 12:33    [W:0.024 / U:384.176 seconds]