    SubjectRe: Hibernation Redesign
    Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
    > Nick Piggin <> writes:

    >>This is the Morton method, isn't it? :) I remember it sounding like a
    >>very good idea when he brought it up, but I can't remember the details
    >>of why it was rejected or what the problems were.
    > Perhaps he did bring it up before I did. Please forward me a link to
    > the thread or other reference if you can find it, as I'd be interested
    > in reading it.

    Sent in the next mail.

    >>I suspect that freeing memory on the fly for the new kernel
    >>would be non-trivial (but possible), however simply having a reserve
    >>RAM region for the new kernel would be fine for a first step.
    > Freeing memory on the fly should be extremely easy for the kernel (this
    > is precisely what it does when it needs to satisfy an allocation). Note
    > that the memory allocated need not be contiguous.

    Yes, I have a rough idea about how page reclaim works. But I just
    mean it would not be trivial to load the new kernel into physically
    discontiguous memory. Possible of course, but I don't think kexec or
    the setup code could quite cope ATM.

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2007-07-09 06:49    [W:0.035 / U:0.432 seconds]