SubjectRe: Hibernation Redesign
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> Nick Piggin <> writes:

>>This is the Morton method, isn't it? :) I remember it sounding like a
>>very good idea when he brought it up, but I can't remember the details
>>of why it was rejected or what the problems were.
> Perhaps he did bring it up before I did. Please forward me a link to
> the thread or other reference if you can find it, as I'd be interested
> in reading it.

Sent in the next mail.

>>I suspect that freeing memory on the fly for the new kernel
>>would be non-trivial (but possible), however simply having a reserve
>>RAM region for the new kernel would be fine for a first step.
> Freeing memory on the fly should be extremely easy for the kernel (this
> is precisely what it does when it needs to satisfy an allocation). Note
> that the memory allocated need not be contiguous.

Yes, I have a rough idea about how page reclaim works. But I just
mean it would not be trivial to load the new kernel into physically
discontiguous memory. Possible of course, but I don't think kexec or
the setup code could quite cope ATM.

SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

  Last update: 2007-07-09 06:49    [W:0.199 / U:3.972 seconds]