SubjectRe: [patch 09/10] Remove the SLOB allocator for 2.6.23
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

> I don't see any problems with maintaining SLOB. It is simple enough
> that I was able to write a userspace test harness for it and hack
> away at it after reading the code the first time for half an hour or
> so. It is nothing even slightly comparable to the problems of SLAB,
> for example. And you don't have to maintain it at all anyway!

I have to maintain it because I have to keep the slab APIs consistent
(recently I added GFP_ZERO support and had to provide shims for slab
defreag). It is not in a good state as described in the patch and has a
history of not being maintained properly. Everyone that modifies the
behavior of the slab allocator has to do something to avoid breaking SLOB.
Its certainly fun to hack on but is that a criterion for keeping it in the
tree?

> I like removing code as much as the next person, but I don't
> understand why you are so intent on removing SLOB and willing to
> dismiss its advantages so quickly.

Quickly? We have considered this for months now.

  Last update: 2007-07-10 03:59    [W:1.236 / U:0.272 seconds]