    SubjectRe: SATA exceptions
    Date
    Hi;

    09 Tem 2007 Pts tarihinde, Tejun Heo şunları yazmıştı:
    > > 07 Tem 2007 Cts tarihinde, Robert Hancock şunları yazmıştı:
    > >> It's not the free space on the drive that matters, it's the number of
    > >> free sectors in the spare sector pool on the drive, which is invisible
    > >> to software.
    > >>
    > >> Your SMART log shows 309 reallocated sectors. That seems somewhat high..
    > >
    > > Ah sorry to misinterpret the content:), its a quiet new piece of hardware
    > > (at most ~1.5 month old) and "Reallocated_Event_Count" constantly
    > > increases (currently its increased to 313) and although i'm not 100
    > > percent sure these errors only occured with kernels > 2.6.18 (or 2.6.18
    > > didn't report these cause according to kern.log these only visible with
    > > 2.6.22+)
    >
    > OS and driver can't really do much about the reallocation event. Some
    > number of reallocations is okay but if you it going up constantly, you
    > probably have a dying disk.

    Hmm its really interesting, then it means 3 piece of ~1.5 month old laptops
    dieing for same decease :) or they already somehow defectived (or we are
    damaging them but it sits on my table happily all that time :P)

    > > We bought 3 HP Pavillon dv2385ea and one of them only runs with 2.6.18
    > > and its smartctl output follows as a reference;
    > >
    > > 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 253 253 010 Pre-fail
    > > 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 253 253 000 Old_age
    >
    > Hmm... This is pretty high too. Do the counts increase on this machine
    > too?

    Yes, seems so (i'm adding Onur and İsmail to CC as other machines owner) and
    here is the smart logs for this 3 seperate machine, its interesting me and
    İsmail runs 2.6.22 (over 300 reloacations occured for both of us) and Onur
    uses 2.6.18 (0 relocation occured for him)

    [1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.caglar
    [2] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.ismail
    [3] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.onur

    Cheers
    --
    S.Çağlar Onur <caglar@pardus.org.tr>
    http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

    Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

      Last update: 2007-07-09 21:11    [W:0.024 / U:87.964 seconds]