    SubjectRe: RFC: CONFIG_PAGE_SHIFT (aka software PAGE_SIZE)
    On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 12:26:51AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > The xfs developers for example want to enlarge their filesystem
    > blocksize (the filesystem blocksize has a tradeoff similar to the
    > PAGE_SIZE, the larger the faster the filesystem but more disk space is
    > potentially wasted),

    I think you've misunderstood why large block sizes are important to
    XFS. The major benefits to XFS of larger block size have almost
    nothing to do with data layout or in memory indexing - it comes from
    metadata btree's getting much broader and so we can search much
    larger spaces using the same number of seeks. It's metadata
    scalability that I'm concerned about here, not file data.

    IOWs, larger pages in the page cache are not directly related to
    improving data I/O performance of the filesystem, but to allow us
    to greatly improve metadata scalability of the filesystem by
    allowing us to increase the fundamental block size of the filesystem.
    This, in turn, improves the data I/O scalability of the filesystem.

    And given that XFS has different metadata block sizes (even on 4k
    block size filesystems), it would be really handy to be able to
    allocate different sized large pages to match all those different
    block sizes so we could avoid having to play vmap() games....

    > they also want to use the “normal” writeback
    > pagecache efficient behavior when using a writable fs on top of a
    > dvd-ram with an hardblocksize of 64k.

    In this case "they" != "XFS developers" - you're lumping several
    different groups of ppl that want large pages for I/O into one

    This is where simply increasing the page size falls down - if you
    want to use large block size on your DVD drive (i.e. every desktop
    machine out there) you need to use (say) a 64k page size which is
    less than ideal for caching the kernel trees that you are currently

    e.g. I was recently asked what the downsides of moving from a 16k
    page to a 64k page size would be - the back-of-the-envelope
    calculations I did for a cached kernel tree showed it's foot-print
    increased from about 300MB to ~1.2GB of RAM because 80% of the files
    in the kernel tree I looked at were smaller than 16k and all that
    happened is we wasted much more memory on those files. That's not
    what you want for your desktop, yet we would like 32-64k pages for
    the DVD drives.

    The point that seems to be ignored is that this is not a "one size
    fits all" type of problem. This is why the variable page cache may
    be a better solution if the fragmentation issues can be solved.
    They've been solved before, so I don't see why they can't be solved

    Dave Chinner
    Principal Engineer
    SGI Australian Software Group

      Last update: 2007-07-09 01:23    [W:0.029 / U:9.136 seconds]