    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1
    On Jul 05, 2007  12:41 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
    > On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > Sorry, but it's really annoying to pull in a filesystem-specific devel
    > > package for that. Having a library is fine, but please move the library
    > > into util-linux so it's always available without another dependency.
    > ugh, moving libraries which are already actively maintained by other core
    > projects into util-linux is so not a good idea (ignoring the fact that it'd
    > easily be a pita/waste for distro maintainers)

    Some distros (Debian and SuSE I think) split the e2fsprogs libraries
    into separate packages so that you are not depending on "e2fsprogs",
    but rather "libuuid" and/or "libblkid".

    > > That way xfsprogs could for example drop it's own detection library aswell.
    > i dont really think this is dependent on util-linux at all. nothing is
    > stopping xfsprogs from depending on udev or e2fsprogs now.

    In fact, Eric Sandeen and I discussed splitting the xfsprogs "libdisk"
    (or similar, it detects RAID geometry for DM/MD/etc) into a standalone
    library so that e2fsprogs could use it. The only issue is the increased
    maintenance and packaging of separate libraries.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger
    Principal Software Engineer
    Cluster File Systems, Inc.

      Last update: 2007-07-05 20:07    [W:0.022 / U:3.484 seconds]