SubjectRe: Versioning file system
(sorry for the late reply, just got back from holiday)

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:29:56PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> As I mentioned in my presentation a year and a half ago,
> the main use of Streams in Windows to date has been for system
> crackers to hide trojan horse code and rootkits so that system
> administrators couldn't find them. :-)

The only valid use of Streams in Windows I've seen was a virus checker
that stored a hash of the file in a separate stream. Checking a file
was a matter of rehashing it and comparing against the hash stored in
the special hash data stream for that particular file.

They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery