SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:

> Few dayas ago OSS source code was oppened uder CDDL for Solaris and
> GLPv2 for Linux:
>
> http://www.opensound.com/press/2007/oss-gpl-cddl.txt
>
> So this source without problems code can be integragrated in Linus
> tree and after this Linux can provide much better soud supoport than
> with current ALSA.
>
> Any plans for doing this ?
>
> kloczek

I know this may sound kind of stupid, but how about not deprecating
either, and fully supporting both sound systems? Maybe we can get them
to work together, and the distro or user can choose whether they would
like to use alsa or oss for that particular card (or have the distro
choose the sound drivers that are best supported for that particular
card). As it is now, most apps already support oss and alsa.

  Last update: 2007-07-04 08:41    [W:0.238 / U:0.156 seconds]