    SubjectRe: request for patches: showing mount options
    On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:19:57AM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
    > The removal of /etc/mtab in favor of /proc/mounts is a new requirement,
    > and is not as trivial as you might hope. Internally the NFS client
    > represents the mount options as a binary data structure, and it contains
    > only the information that has traditionally been passed into the kernel
    > by the current mount command. The user-space-only options are not
    > passed to the kernel nor stored in the data structure.
    >
    > Adding facilities to store information about every possible mount
    > option, including the user-space-only ones, will take a bit of time, but
    > is possible, if not straightforward. We just have to understand all the
    > dependencies.

    I still have doubts. The removal of /etc/mtab is nice, but a little
    unreal wish. Do we really want to store non-kernel data (options) in
    kernel? What about options that are not closely related to any
    filesystem -- for example "loop="?

    Maybe we can replace /etc/mtab with something more useful
    (e.g. /var/run/mount/<mntid>.tab) for really user-space-only information.

    It doesn't mean that Miklos's audit of all filesystems and request
    for patches is bad thing. The /proc/mounts has to provide complete
    information at least about kernel mount options.

    Karel

    --
    Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>