    SubjectRe: [RFC 12/26] ext2 white-out support
    On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 06:13:35PM +0200, Jan Blunck wrote:
    > Introduce white-out support to ext2.
    > Known Bugs:
    > - Needs a reserved inode number for white-outs

    You picked different reserved inodes for the ext2 and ext3
    filesystems. That's good for a NACK right there. The codepoints
    (i.e., reserved inode numbers, feature bit masks, etc.) for ext2,
    ext3, and ext4 MUST not overlap. After all, someone might use tune2fs
    -j to convert an ext2 filesystem to ext3, and is it's REALLY BAD that
    you're using a reserved inode of 7 for ext2, and 9 for ext3.

    Also, I note that you have created a new INCOMPAT feature flag support
    for whiteouts. That's really unfortunate; we try to avoid introducing
    incompatible feature flags unless absolutely necessary; note that even
    adding a COMPAT feature flag means that you need a new version of
    e2fsprogs if you want e2fsck to be willing to touch that filesystem.

    So --- if you're looking for a way to add whiteout support to
    ext2/ext3 without needing a feature bit, here's how. We allocate a
    new inode flag in struct ext3_inode.i_flags:

    #define EXT2_WHTOUT_FL 0x00040000

    We also allocate a new field in the ext2 superblock to store the
    "whiteout inode". (Please coordinate with me so it's a superblock
    field not in use by ext3/ext4, and so it's reserved so that no one
    else uses it.) The superblock field, call it s_whtout_ino, stores the
    inode number for the "white out inode".

    When you create a new whiteout file, the code checks sb->s_whtout_ino,
    and if it is zero, it allocates a new inode, and creates it as a
    zero-length regular file (i_mode |= S_IFREG) with the EXT2_WHTOUT_FL
    flag set in the inode, and then store the inode number in
    sb->s_whtout_ino. If sb->s_whtout_ino is non-zero, you must read in
    the inode and make sure that the EXT2_WHTOUT_FL is set. If it is not,
    then allocate a new whiteout inode as described previously. Then link
    the inode into the directory as before.

    When reading an inode, if the EXT2_WHTOUT_FL flag is set, then set the
    in-memory mode of the inode to be S_IFWHT.

    That's pretty much about it. For cleanliness sake, it would be good
    if ext2_delete_inode clears sb->s_whtout_ino if the last whiteout link
    has been deleted, but it's strictly speaking not necessary. If you do
    it this way, the filesystem is completely backwards compatible; the
    whiteout files will just appear to links to a normal zero-lenth file.

    I wouldn't bother with setting the directory type field to be DT_WHT,
    given that they will never be returned to userspace anyway.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-07-31 05:47    [W:0.048 / U:55.056 seconds]