    SubjectRe: bonnie++ benchmarks for ext2,ext3,ext4,jfs,reiserfs,xfs,zfs on software raid 5
    On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 10:29 -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:

    > Overall JFS seems the fastest but reviewing the mailing list for JFS it
    > seems like there a lot of problems, especially when people who use JFS > 1
    > year, their speed goes to 5 MiB/s over time and the defragfs tool has been
    > removed(?) from the source/Makefile and on Google it says not to use it
    > due to corruption.

    The defragfs tool was an unported holdover from OS/2, which is why it
    was removed. There never was a working Linux version. I have some
    ideas to improve jfs allocation to avoid fragmentation problems, but jfs
    isn't my full-time job anymore, so I can't promise anything. I'm not
    sure about the corruption claims. I'd like to hear some specifics on

    Anyway, for enterprise use, I couldn't recommend jfs, since there is no
    full-time maintainer.

    David Kleikamp
    IBM Linux Technology Center

      Last update: 2007-07-30 22:13    [W:0.083 / U:6.312 seconds]