    SubjectRe: [ck] Re: SD still better than CFS for 3d ?(was Re: 2.6.23-rc1)

    * david@lang.hm <david@lang.hm> wrote:

    > > Would you be interested in trying CFS and doing some numers perhaps?
    > > It requires some work: you have to start up your favorite game in a
    > > way that gives a reliable framerate number. (many games allow the
    > > display of FPS in-game) In Quake3 i simply started the game and did
    > > not move the player - that is something easy to reproduce.
    >
    > the one report that I saw said that the FPS numbers were overall the
    > same, but what the reporter was seeing was that CFS was doing it in
    > bursts of activity while SD was smoother. [...]

    which report is that, precisely? I'm not aware of any such report past
    CFS v14 or so.

    > IIRC Linus responded with thoughts on granularity and the fact that
    > changing from Hz 1000 to Hz 100 will increase the timeslices in CFS by
    > 10x (which could be enough to trigger this sort of issue)

    ah, you mean Kasper Sandberg's report? That turned out to be based on an
    older CFS version, not v2.6.23-rc1. Kasper said he'll redo his tests,
    and if there's still any regression left we'll fix it.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-07-30 21:05    [W:0.022 / U:390.760 seconds]