    SubjectLibata PATA status
    Libata General with respect to PATA
    ====================================

    Wrong port and IRQ reporting - IRQ now fixed by Tejun, port reporting
    fixes sent to Andrew. All these are cosmetic and don't harm debug.

    Still can't user set drive speed or user issue commands at a given speed.
    Needed to allow users to bump cable rules, fix strange stuff and for some
    emulated chips to issue RAID control ATA packets in PIO0 (no I've no idea
    why they only work in PIO0 ;)).

    No serialization of channel pairs.

    PATA General
    ============

    Current kernels now support HPA (Host Protected Area) but default to
    honouring it. Probably a wrong default for PATA but we need to decide the
    right way to expose it nicely.

    Cable detection should now be sane. Still issues with SATA bridges. Some
    test hacks in my code base but nothing for upstream yet.

    My tree has global DMA control aka ide=nodma. Need to decide the best way
    to push a version of this.

    Ancient non IORDY capable devices need patches still in my devel tree

    Post SRST we need to decide what to do about mode setting - do we put the
    controller in PIO0 specifically ? My tree does and this seems to help on
    non PC systems.

    No PATA hotplug support yet. Need warmplug helpers for some chipsets (eg
    some intel ICH) to avoid risk of hangs.

    Chipsets
    ========
    PIIX
    Tejun should have the MWDMA bugs fixed otherwise so far so good.
    Mostly maintained by other people.
    ACPI
    Driver needs a rewrite based upon what has been learned about the
    BIOS handling of the ACPI methods. On the TODO list
    ALI
    2.6.22rc7 fixed the last known non-atapi bug. Stil some ATAPI
    problem reports unresolved
    AMD
    Solid. ACPI tweaks in my tree for Nvidia cable detect and pushed
    to -mm. Target for 2.6.23
    ARTOP
    No reports, but nobody appears to be using one
    ATIIXP
    Rock solid. For SATA side use AHCI
    CMD640
    Seems to work but still little testing
    CMD64X
    Tested on x86, needs more Sparc/Alpha feedback
    CS5520
    Solid for PIO. No virtual DMA support (and none likely unless its
    contributed)
    CS5530
    Obscure hang bug fix just sent to -mm tree but not observed in
    real world use. Otherwise stable
    CS5535
    No reports
    CYPRESS
    Needs someone with an ancient Alpha. May drop entirely
    EFAR
    Seems solid. Needs some PIIX updates cross checking for EFAR
    relevance. Low priority
    GENERIC
    Fix for "DMA set up but not used" bug in -git
    HPT366
    Seems to be solid. Needs a backport of the chip detect changes
    Sergei just finished for old IDE. Low priority no real impact from
    their lack
    HPT37X
    Working but some further work required to get it behaving on all
    combinations
    HPT3X2N
    Still has problems on some systems. Tracking the work being done
    in old-ide which seems to behave similarly
    HPT3X3
    Solid PIO support sent to -mm. DMA is problematic. Doesn't work
    with old IDE at all so not too problematic. Doesn't work in
    base kernel
    ISAPNP
    Seems to work, no bug reports but not many users
    IT8212
    Multiple fixes, should now be stable in RAID and Pass-through
    modes thanks to driver fixes and core fixes from Tejun
    IT8213
    No idea
    JMICRON
    Works reliably. No recent changes
    LEGACY
    Works ok. Complete rewrite in progress to clean up all the
    pre-PCI support
    TRIFLEX
    Solid, no recent changes.
    MARVELL
    Solid, will be replaced by PATA AHCI-like support in time
    (but not by me)
    MPIIX
    Solid, no recent changes
    OLDPIIX
    Solid, no recent changes
    NETCELL
    Solid, no recent changes
    NS87410
    Still experimental, almost no users
    OPTIPIO
    Very much experimental but seems to work
    OPTIDMA
    Very much experimental, but seems to work. Only one user known
    however
    PCMCIA
    Works reliably. Some problems with IRQ routing on some CF cards
    that seem to be card related. Works on systems with no DMA API
    support as of patches sent to -mm
    PDC_OLD
    2.6.22-git has cable detection bug fixed
    QDI
    Works, will be folded into LEGACY rewrite
    RADISYS
    Very experimental, no changes, low priority
    RZ1000
    Solid, works, no changes
    SC1200
    Single channel only still. Needs work for dual channel
    -mm has fix for a DMA hang bug
    SERVERWORKS
    Solid, no changes of note
    SIL680
    Solid, no recent changes
    SIS
    Current tree fixes crash on boot some users reported, code
    cleanups, no other major changes for pure PATA devices
    VIA
    Solid. Sent acpi patch for -mm to try and fix the one remaining
    mystery "how to spot VIA with onboard SATA bridges properly. If
    you've got a VIA board with SATA ports that appear as PATA
    channels please drop me an email as I'd like to get more info
    on what is affected.
    WINBOND
    No changes, still experimental

      Last update: 2007-07-03 19:47    [W:0.028 / U:124.644 seconds]