SubjectRe: Reading a bad sector does not report failure as 'read error' but hangs PC with 'Machine Check Exception'
>> hangs. If I try it after a reboot with 'mcelog --k8
>> --ascii' or whatever parameter, there is no output
at
> You could type error back in from the email ?

Ok I copied it into the tool, it gives me:

CPU 0 4 northbridge TSC b7d4a144d0
Northbridge ECC error
ECC syndrome = 0
STATUS 0 MCGSTATUS 4

This is a bit strange because I repeatedly tested the
RAM yesterday and it gives no problems. And even more
interesting: the error occurs at a reproducible
moment: when reading the bad sector from the Seagate
harddisk. And with an older kernel I was able to just
copy all stuff from the drive using dd_rescue... I do
not have ECC RAM in my PC by the way.

> > Isn't it strange to say that the controller does
> > something bad if there is just a bad sector on the
> > drive that is reported and handled correctly in an
> > older kernel
> Not really. Its very strange it gives an MCE at all
> but this is a known
> failure path (and should be a fixed known failure
> path) for the Nvidia SATA.

So how to proceed in tackling this problem now? Is
there anything I can do to (help you guys ;)) fix it?
At this moment it unfortunately does not look to me as
a fixed failure path...