    SubjectRe: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]
    > > Is that generally the case on your systems? Every linux system I've
    > > run, regardless of RAM, has always pushed things out to swap.
    > For me, it is generally the case yes. We are still discussing this in the
    > context of desktop machines and their problems with being slow as things
    > have been swapped out and generally I expect a desktop to have plenty of
    > swap which it's not regularly going to fillup significantly since then the
    > machine's unworkably slow as a desktop anyway.

    A simple log optimises writeout (which is latency critical) and can
    otherwise stall an enitre system. In a log you can also have multiple
    copies of the same page on disk easily, some stale - so you can write out
    chunks of data that are not all them removed from memory, just so you get
    them back more easily if you then do (and I guess you'd mark them

    The second element is a cleaner - something to go around removing stuff
    from the log that is needed when the disks are idle - and also to repack
    data in nice linear chunks. So instead of using the empty disk time for
    page-in you use it for packing data and optimising future paging.

      Last update: 2007-07-29 19:49    [W:0.019 / U:12.736 seconds]