    SubjectRe: How can we make page replacement smarter (was: swap-prefetch)
    Al Boldi wrote:
    > Chris Snook wrote:

    >> At best, reads can be read-ahead and cached, which is why
    >> sequential swap-in sucks less. On-demand reads are as expensive as I/O
    >> can get.
    > Which means that it should be at least as fast as swap-out, even faster
    > because write to disk is usually slower than read on modern disks. But
    > linux currently shows a distinct 2x slowdown for sequential swap-in wrt
    > swap-out.

    That's because writes are faster than reads in moderate

    The disk caches writes, allowing the OS to write a whole
    bunch of data into the disk cache and the disk can optimize
    the IO a bit internally.

    The same optimization is not possible for reads.

    Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
    the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group
    calls the other unpatriotic.

      Last update: 2007-07-29 06:11    [W:0.034 / U:0.220 seconds]