    SubjectRe: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]
    On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 03:00 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:47:49 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >
    > > More sophisticated testing is needed - there's something in
    > > ext3-tools which will mmap, page in and hold a file for you.
    >
    > So much for that theory. afaict mmapped, active pagecache is immune to
    > updatedb activity. It just sits there while updatedb continues munching
    > away at the slab and blockdev pagecache which it instantiated. I assume
    > we're never getting the VM into enough trouble to tip it over the
    > start-reclaiming-mapped-pages threshold (ie: /proc/sys/vm/swappiness).
    >
    > Start the updatedb on this 128MB machine with 80MB of mapped pagecache, it
    > falls to 55MB fairly soon and then never changes.
    >
    > So hrm. Are we sure that updatedb is the problem? There are quite a few
    > heavyweight things which happen in the wee small hours.

    The balance in _my_ world seems just fine. I don't let any of those
    system maintenance things run while I'm using the system, and it doesn't
    bother me if my working set has to be reconstructed after heavy-weight
    maintenance things are allowed to run. I'm not seeing anything I
    wouldn't expect to see when running a job the size of updatedb.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2007-07-27 12:27    [W:4.804 / U:0.812 seconds]