    SubjectRe: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console
    Date
    On Friday 27 July 2007 02:35:30 pm Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > On 7/27/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
    > > Can you give a more detailed example? Maybe that would help me understand
    > > the problem you're seeing.
    > >
    > > And why is udev not sufficient to give the NICs persistent names?
    >
    > yes. NIC on node1 become the eth0 instead of eth2.

    We aren't doing threaded probes or anything yet, so on a given
    machine, device names should be deterministic.

    Of course, if you reconfigure the machine, the driver may find
    devices in a different order and name them something different.
    I don't see a way to avoid that.

    And couldn't we use udev to associate a fixed name with a MAC
    address? Then the user could use the same persistent name,
    regardless of the order in which the driver found the devices.

    Bjorn

      Last update: 2007-07-27 23:03    [W:0.033 / U:29.224 seconds]