SubjectRe: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console
Date
On Friday 27 July 2007 02:35:30 pm Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On 7/27/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
> > Can you give a more detailed example? Maybe that would help me understand
> > the problem you're seeing.
> >
> > And why is udev not sufficient to give the NICs persistent names?
>
> yes. NIC on node1 become the eth0 instead of eth2.

We aren't doing threaded probes or anything yet, so on a given
machine, device names should be deterministic.

Of course, if you reconfigure the machine, the driver may find
devices in a different order and name them something different.
I don't see a way to avoid that.

And couldn't we use udev to associate a fixed name with a MAC
address? Then the user could use the same persistent name,
regardless of the order in which the driver found the devices.

Bjorn

  Last update: 2007-07-27 23:03    [W:0.191 / U:0.652 seconds]