    Subjectsk98lin for 2.6.23-rc1
    From http://www.krose.org/~krose/computing.html:

    Since the sky2 driver continues to suck ass (which is a technical
    description for "it hangs all the time under load, at least on my
    hardware" :-) ), I've fixed the sk98lin driver to compile for
    linux-2.6.23-rc1. Those who continue to have problems with sky2 can
    still use 2.6.23-rc1, simply by doing the following:

    1.

    Make sure you have the headers for your kernel properly installed
    and linked to /usr/src/linux-$KVER.

    2.

    Download the sk98lin source from Marvell's site
    <http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do>.

    3.

    Untar the driver and run the install.sh according to the
    directions. It will fail.

    4.

    Look in /tmp for a directory called Sk98something. Go to
    http://www.krose.org/~krose/projects/sk98lin/ and copy the
    Makefile <http://www.krose.org/%7Ekrose/projects/sk98lin/Makefile>
    and sky2.c <http://www.krose.org/%7Ekrose/projects/sk98lin/sky2.c>
    into /tmp/Sk98something/all.

    5.

    Change into /tmp/Sk98something/all and execute:

    sudo -H make -C /usr/src/linux-$KVER M=`pwd` modules
    sudo -H make -C /usr/src/linux-$KVER M=`pwd` modules_install

    6.

    Blacklist sky2 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, and (maybe not
    necessary) manually load sk98lin in /etc/modules.

    There. You're done. Stable networking at last... er, again.

    Unfortunately, you lose the nicest differential feature of
    sky2---WOL---but that's a small price to pay for networking stability of
    a desktop machine. It's nice to be able to watch MythTV again without
    having to sudo bash -c 'ifdown eth0; rmmod sky2; modprobe sky2; ifup
    eth0' every few minutes.

    Personally, I'd like to see sk98lin remain in the kernel proper until
    sky2 goes at least 6 months without reported problems. The fact that I
    am not the only one still seeing issues is a clear indication that sky2
    (even with the recent patches in 2.6.23-rc1) is not yet ready to replace
    sk98lin.

    I'm happy to help debug the remaining issues with sky2, Stephen; just
    let me know what information you need.

    Kyle

      Last update: 2007-07-26 17:31    [W:0.025 / U:60.436 seconds]