SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

> On 07/25/2007 06:46 AM, david@lang.hm wrote:
>
>> you could make a synthetic test by writing a memory hog that allocates 3/4
>> of your ram then pauses waiting for input and then randomly accesses the
>> memory for a while (say randomly accessing 2x # of pages allocated) and
>> then pausing again before repeating
>
> Something like this?
>
>> run two of these, alternating which one is running at any one time. time
>> how long it takes to do the random accesses.
>>
>> the difference in this time should be a fair example of how much it would
>> impact the user.
>
> Notenotenote, not sure what you're going to show with it (times are simply as
> horrendous as I'd expect) but thought I'd try to inject something other than
> steaming cups of 4-letter beverages.

when the swap readahead is enabled does it make a significant difference
in the time to do the random access?

if it does that should show a direct benifit of the patch in a simulation
of a relativly common workflow (startup a memory hog like openoffice then
try and go back to your prior work)

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-07-25 10:11    [W:0.312 / U:0.576 seconds]