    SubjectRe: [DRIVER SUBMISSION] DRBD wants to go mainline
    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Satyam Sharma wrote:

    > On 7/25/07, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg@linbit.com> wrote:
    >> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 04:41:53AM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
    >> > [...]
    >> >
    >> > But where does the "send" come into the picture over here -- a send
    >> > won't block forever, so I don't foresee any issues whatsoever w.r.t.
    >> > kthreads conversion for that. [ BTW I hope you're *not* using any
    >> > signals-based interface for your kernel thread _at all_. Kthreads
    >> > disallow (ignore) all signals by default, as they should, and you really
    >> > shouldn't need to write any logic to handle or
    >> > do-certain-things-on-seeing
    >> > a signal in a well designed kernel thread. ]

    >> > Again, I don't see what sending latency has to do with a kernel_thread
    >> > to kthread conversion. Or with signals, for that matter. Anyway, as
    >> > Kyle Moffett mentioned elsewhere, you could probably look at other
    >> > examples (say cifs_demultiplexer_thread() in fs/cifs/connect.c).
    >>
    >> the basic problem, and what we use signals for, is:
    >>
    >> it is waiting in recv, waiting for the peer to say something.
    >> but I want it to stop recv, and go send something "right now".
    >
    > That's ... weird. Most (all?) communication between any two parties
    > would follow a protocol where someone recv's stuff, does something
    > with it, and sends it back ... what would you send "right now" if you
    > didn't receive anything?

    becouse even though you didn't receive anything you now have something
    important to send.

    remember that both sides can be sitting in receive mode. this puts them
    both in a position to respond to the other if the other has something to
    say.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2007-07-26 04:09    [W:4.309 / U:0.208 seconds]