SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 09:02 -0700, Ray Lee wrote:

> I'd just like updatedb to amortize its work better. If we had some way
> to track all filesystem events, updatedb could keep a live and
> accurate index on the filesystem. And this isn't just updatedb that
> wants that, beagle and tracker et al also want to know filesystem
> events so that they can index the documents themselves as well as the
> metadata. And if they do it live, that spreads the cost out, including
> the VM pressure.

That would be nice. It'd be great if there was a per-filesystem inotify
mode. I can't help but think it'd be more efficient than recursing
every directory and adding a watch.

Or maybe a netlink thing that could buffer events since filesystem mount
until a daemon could get around to starting, so none were lost.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org>

  Last update: 2007-07-25 22:59    [W:0.775 / U:0.072 seconds]