SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
Date
Nick Piggin wrote:
> OK, this is where I start to worry. Swap prefetch AFAIKS doesn't fix
> the updatedb problem very well, because if updatedb has caused swapout
> then it has filled memory, and swap prefetch doesn't run unless there
> is free memory (not to mention that updatedb would have paged out other
> files as well).

It is *not* about updatedb. That is just a trivial case which people
notice. Therefore fixing updatedb to be nicer, as was discussed at
various points in this thread, is *not* the solution.
Most users are also *not*at*all* interested in kernel builds as a metric
of system performance.

When I'm at work, I run a large, commercial, engineering application.
While running, it takes most of the system memory (4GB and up), and it
reads and writes very large files. Swap prefetch noticeably helps my
desktop too. Can I measure it? Not sure. Can people on lkml fix the
application? Certainly not.

Frank

  Last update: 2007-07-25 20:03    [W:0.333 / U:0.620 seconds]