SubjectRe: [ck] Re: howto get a patch merged (WAS: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23)
On 7/25/07, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Kacper Wysocki <kacperw@online.no> wrote:
>
> > [snip howto get a patch merged]
>
> > > But a "here is a solution, take it or leave it" approach, before
> > > having communicated the problem to the maintainer and before having
> > > debugged the problem is the wrong way around. It might still work
> > > out fine if the solution is correct (especially if the patch is
> > > small and obvious), but if there are any non-trivial tradeoffs
> > > involved, or if nontrivial amount of code is involved, you might see
> > > your patch at the end of a really long (and constantly growing)
> > > waiting list of patches.
> >
> > Is that what happened with swap prefetch these two years? The approach
> > has been wrong?
>
> i dont know - but one of the maintainers of the code (Nick) says that he
> asked for but did not get debug feedback:

Perhaps this is unimportant now, I don't know, but who did he ask?
Where did he ask? Where should the feedback have gone? (For example,
is he subscribed to -ck?) To be perfectly honest, I find this very
surprising, considering the number of people that appear to be
supporting this patch. I can only wonder whether it's possible this
request never got to any of them.

--
Michael Chang

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. Send me ODT,
RTF, or HTML instead.
Thank you.