    SubjectRe: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

    * Rene Herman <rene.herman@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Nick Piggin is the person to convince it seems and if I've read things
    > right (I only stepped into this thing at the updatedb mention, so
    > maybe I haven't) his main question is _why_ the hell it helps
    > updatedb. [...]

    btw., i'd like to make this clear: if you want stuff to go upstream, do
    not concentrate on 'convincing the maintainer'.

    Instead concentrate on understanding the _problem_, concentrate on
    making sure that both you and the maintainer understands the problem
    correctly, possibly write some testcase that clearly exposes it, and
    help the maintainer debug the problem. _Optionally_, if you find joy in
    it, you are also free to write a proposed solution for that problem and
    submit it to the maintainer.

    But a "here is a solution, take it or leave it" approach, before having
    communicated the problem to the maintainer and before having debugged
    the problem is the wrong way around. It might still work out fine if the
    solution is correct (especially if the patch is small and obvious), but
    if there are any non-trivial tradeoffs involved, or if nontrivial amount
    of code is involved, you might see your patch at the end of a really
    long (and constantly growing) waiting list of patches.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-07-25 15:53    [W:3.548 / U:0.148 seconds]