SubjectRe: [BUG] firewire: mass-storage i/o-problems
Date
On Monday, 23. Juli 2007 01:34 Stefan Richter wrote:
> (quoting in full for linux1394-devel, Cc added)
>
> Andreas Messer wrote at LKML:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried the new firewire stack with a external harddisc and a external
> > dvd writer and get massive i/o problems. Here is the kernel output for
> > the harddisc. Please cc me for further questions. I hope its not too much
> > output for lkml email.

< bugreport snipped>

> Are you sure the FireWire controller is from VIA? Check with lscpi.
> The NVidia nForce2 chipset has an own FireWire controller, and that one
> is only "supported" by a gross hack in ohci1394 and at the moment
> unsupported in firewire-ohci. There is even a bug report in Red Hat's
> bugzilla where fw-ohci hung up when trying to initialize an nForce2 chip.

The first System, where harddisc don't work at all with the new stack:
Nvidia NForce2 Ultra Chipset; 1GB RAM; XP-M 2600; FW-Controller is
PCI addon card; lspci says Via
Vanilla Kernel 2.6.22, apic, Preempt, Dynamic Tics. hmm something else
interesting?

> > On another PC same problem, but replugging one or two times get the thing
> > working.
>
> Which controller does this other PC have?

Second System, here replugging helped, testet with harddisc and external
dvd-rw drive:
Nvidia Nforce2 (no Ultra!) Chipset; 1GB Ram XP-M 2500@2600; Same FW Controller
Kernel almost the same (maybe different device drivers)

  Last update: 2007-07-23 10:11    [W:0.684 / U:0.220 seconds]