SubjectRe: [RFH] Partion table recovery
Al Boldi wrote:
> As always, a good friend of mine managed to scratch my partion table by
> cat'ing /dev/full into /dev/sda. I was able to push him out of the way, but
> at least the first 100MB are gone. I can probably live without the first
> partion, but there are many partitions after that, which I hope should
> easily be recoverable.
>
> I tried parted, but it's not working out for me. Does anybody know of a
> simple partition recovery tool, that would just scan the disk for lost
> partions?

You have gotten a bunch of thoughts on this, I will just say that plain
old "fdisk -l" saved somewhere safe is probably all you need, in human
readable format. Doesn't do you any good now, but all the complicated
schemes discussed don't thrill me, I want to be able to see this, and
recovery by partition table manual rebuild is so rare I would rather do
it by hand than trust some software I rarely use.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc